Hey all - We're back!
Writing this from the hospital 34 hours after the birth of our beautiful son, Silas Joshua!
A Short synopsis of our weekend: Saturday morning Josh, Libby and I ran to Target and got the few remaining items we needed to finish the new basement bathroom (did I tell you we finished our basement?) then came home and put that together, did some laundry, organized Libby's closet and then I felt the need to get the baby room TOTALLY ready...getting out the newborn clothes, washing the new diapers, just arranging everything so it would be 100% ready for our baby. I went out to make dinner, and had a contraction at 5:40. For some weird reason I decided to write that one down (weird because I've been having Braxton Hicks contractions for months and not written them down). So then I had 4 in a row that were 15 minutes apart. Then they were 10 minutes apart for over an hour so I called mom and dad and they got on the road to Des Moines at about 7:30 to stay with Libby and we went to the hospital at 11pm. We had to walk for an hour in order to get my cervix to start dilating before they admitted me. It worked and we were admitted around 2am. We did another hour of walking to try to get things moving faster, but my contractions slowed around 3am so Josh and I caught a couple of hours of sleep. The doc was supposed to come break my water at 5 but apparently she slept through, so the new doctor that came on at 7am (Dr. Gisi) came in and broke my water at 7:15 Sunday morning and the show was on. Melissa, our nurse through the night came in before she left and told me she hoped I would have the baby by noon. I looked at her and said, "How about 10?" She said that sounded good... Contractions were strong and 5 minutes apart from the time he broke my water - it was super painful, but my nurses helped me breathe through the contractions and Josh was amazing - rubbing my back and putting heat packs on my back and encouraging me the whole way through. I never did get an epidural, but I did have some Fetinol (an IV painkiller) which helped some for a while. I was at 6 cm when they gave me the 2nd dose of Fetinol. I fell asleep for a few minutes (crazy right) and then woke up screaming like a mad woman - the baby was ready to come out! I don't think the nurses believed me at first - but after she checked me she said I was complete and they called the doc. I told them in a loud and firm (screaming) voice that they better tell him to RUN! I pushed for about 10 minutes and looked at the clock. It was 9:59 - I told the doc and the nurses and Josh that I had one minute to get that baby out. I pushed as hard as I could, and out he came at 10am ON THE DOT!!!!! Crazy right?!
Josh's face was something I can't even describe when we saw that we had our little boy :) We were both just completely in love with him at the very first sight.
Silas is a little chunker, weighing in at 8 lbs, 11oz and 20-3/4" long. He looks just like his daddy - cute cute cute! He's really quiet so far - not a lot of fussing and you really have to do something drastic to make him cry, but when he does it's nice and strong and way too precious! He's got the same color eyes Libby did when she was born and his hair is a lot lighter than hers was, so it will be so fun to see how he changes.
We are all doing well - he's a quiet, happy little baby and we are very blessed to have him join our family. Libby is in love with him - she kisses him and gets very sad to hear him cry. She's not 100% sure about holding him or getting too close - it's got to be on her terms and I think that's great! She needs to adjust in her own way and on her own time. I know she is going to be an AWESOME big sister!
Enjoy a few pictures of our baby boy :)
![]() |
| How awesome is this?! |









Congrats, Tasha and Josh!! Thanks for the update and pictures. Can't wait to meet Silas. And I love what a great big sister Olivia is already shaping up to be!!
ReplyDeleteCongrats uncle josh and aunt tasha i always knew you guys were the odd ones out. Can't wait to see him tomorrow reallly missing alln of you.
ReplyDelete