Thursday, November 10, 2011

Whiney Wilma

I sometimes don't realize how I post about all of the goodness of our baby. She is a bundle of goodness, but let me tell you  - - lately, she's testing our patience!

The past week has been a little trying for mommy. Olivia is a little smarty-sign language user, which I was sure would be so great because it would cut out the whining. But guess what? She STILL WHINES! She just does it while she's using her little smarty-fart signs!!! She stands in the kitchen crying the cry with no tears and slapping herself in the mouth to get food or squeezing her hand to get some milk. Or she stands at my feet or next to the couch and holds her arms up in the air whining for me to pick her up. Typically she can stand at my leg and yank on my pants and cry all she wants and I can tune her out and sing a little song (Not that I ignore her or never give her what she's asking, a.k.a. demanding). But this week it just seems out of control.
My wonderful mom witnessed some of the whining over the phone the other day and she just thought it was hysterical! So I was totally hoping this is a short-lived phase (like 1 week) but then i decided: No. I hope it lasts another week, so when Libby is at Oma and Opa's house for the weekend my dear mother can witness and then see how funny it is :) Although I'm sure they will just hold her and give her her every desire and won't have to witness a thing! Love you guys!

I think a lot of this has to do with the recent time-change. Olivia is such a creature of habit and is very set in living on her schedule, so even though it was just an hour change, it has thrown her whole world into a life of chaos and confusion. We have tried to ease her into it, but she wants to eat at 5pm because she thinks it's 6. And go to bed at 6:15 because she thinks it's 7:15. And wake up at 4:30 am because she think's it's 5:30. Trying to explain to a baby that the time has changed and she has to wait an hour is horribly and utterly impossible! She just cries even louder and looks at us like we're morons. It's Thursday now and she's finally starting to get there...hopefully by the end of the week (tomorrow) she's got it figured out.

"We spend the first twelve months of our children's lives teaching them to walk and talk and the next twelve telling them to sit down and shut up."

"Children are gleeful barbarians."

So that's what's new this week. ..It might be frustrating and it might be annoying, but it's part of who she is - at least for right now. It's kind of like golfing: You can hit 10 terrible shots and want to quit the game and drink a beer, but all it takes is one great shot and you're back in it to win it. All it takes from Olivia is a sweet smile, a pat on the back or a little dance and we forget what we were even frustrated about. (Still might be nice to have a beer though!)

1 comment: